BOSTON — Justin Verlander was asked Friday about

Home Forums Share Share Ideas BOSTON — Justin Verlander was asked Friday about

BOSTON — Justin Verlander was asked Friday about

• liny195

former teammate David Price’s inability to win a game as a starter in the postseason.“Great teammate. Really enjoyed my time with David http://www.indiansfanproshop.com/authentic-b.j.-upton-jersey ,” Verlander said of when they were together in Detroit. “Him and I still talk all the time, stay in touch. And, yeah, I do find that odd (he’s winless as a starter in postseason).“Honestly, I hope the trend continues for the short term now.”Article continues below …If it continues Sunday, the Astros, 7-2 winners in Game 1 of the American League Championship Series on Saturday night, would take a 2-0 lead in the best-of-seven heading home for three games.“The trend” is historic.Price, who faces Gerrit Cole in the second game of the ALCS on Sunday night, is 0-9 with a 6.03 ERA in 10 postseason starts. This past week against the New York Yankees, he became the first pitcher in MLB history with at least 10 postseason starts and zero victories. His teams are 0-10 in those 10 games and the ERA is the third worst among pitchers with 10 starts.He got the ultimate vote of confidence when manager Alex Cora, with folks screaming the left-hander should go to the bullpen – where he has had success — tabbed him to start in Game 2.“It’s good. I did expect to make more starts for us in this year’s playoffs,” Price said before Game 1. “But Alex told me before we even got off the field that night.“So for him to tell me before we even took our jerseys off to put on our postseason shirts that we get when we win, that was special.”The Astros http://www.indiansfanproshop.com/authentic-b.j.-upton-jersey , who posted their 59th road win of the season behind Verlander (2-0 in this postseason), now turn to Cole, who hasn’t lost in nine starts (6-0) since Aug. 10. He beat the Cleveland Indians in Game 2 of the ALDS, going seven innings and yielding three hits and one run.Houston got six innings out of Verlander and put the game away on ninth-inning home runs by Josh Reddick and Yuli Gurriel.“This team finds a way in big moments to show up,” said Verlander, whose team is 4-0 in the postseason by a combined score of 28-8.Houston’s George Springer, who had a two-run single in the first inning and has tied Lance Berkman’s club record with a 10-game postseason hitting streak: “This is a clubhouse that believes in every guy. Doesn’t matter who gets the job done. Pass the torch on to the next guy.”Red Sox pitchers walked 10 — a franchise record for a nine-inning postseason game — and hit three in their second loss, both at home, of this postseason. Chris Sale didn’t have his command and was gone after four innings despite allowing just one hit and two runs.An Eduardo Nunez error led to an unearned run and a loss for reliever Joe Kelly.Cora, who was ejected from Game 1 for arguing a strike 3 call on Andrew Benintendi, reaffirmed Price as his Game 2 starter after the game — with a simple “Yes.”Price, who lost Game 2 to the Yankees, lasting just 1 2/3 innings, is 6-2 with a 2.69 ERA in 14 games (10 starts) lifetime against the Astros Danny Salazar Jersey , including strong relief work in last year’s LDS.Cole, who went 15-5 with a 2.88 ERA in the regular season, is 2-1 with a 4.32 ERA lifetime in four starts against the Red Sox — 0-1 with a 5.73 in two starts at Fenway Park.Alex Bregman is 3-for-7 (.429) with a home run, backup catcher Brian McCann 11-for-32 (.344) with three homers and Jose Altuve 8-for-25 (.320) against Price. But Reddick is 0-for-11, Jake Marisnick 1-for-12 (.083), Carlos Correa 2-for-10 (.200) and Springer 5-for-24 (.208) with a homer.Mookie Betts, who is just 4-for-20 this postseason, is 5-for-8 (.625) and J.D. Martinez 3-for-10 (.300) with a homer against Cole. But Ian Kinsler is 2-for-25 (.080), Xander Bogaerts and Mitch Moreland are both 1-for-11 (.091), and Jackie Bradley Jr. 2-for-9 (.222) against the right-hander. Eddie Rosario returned to the Minnesota Twins‘ lineup and homered in a 10-6 win Friday night but the team will need to wait at least a little bit longer before getting third baseman Miguel Sano back in action.Sano will undergo “a few more tests” on his ailing left knee, according to manager Paul Molitor, whose team continues a three-game series with the Kansas City Royals on Saturday.He’s been out since bruising the leg while sliding into second Tuesday night in Houston. There was hope that he’d return for the series opener Friday but that plan was scratched when the pain hadn’t subsided.Article continues below …“I was a little quick to speak about how he was the day after the injury,” Molitor told MLB.com Friday. “He’s still a little sore. I was of the mindset it would be sooner than later, and I don’t think it’s still too far out there. We’re just running a few more tests to make sure he’s going to be OK and there’s nothing that’s going to linger that we might have missed from the initial diagnosis.”The Twins will also be without first baseman Tyler Austin on Saturday.Austin’s back has been bothering him since Wednesday when he slipped and fell near the dugout while chasing down a pop fly.“His back is still feeling the symptoms there so we’re trying to go slowly and be patient as far as when we’re going to get him back out to play http://www.indiansfanproshop.com/authentic-b.j.-upton-jersey ,” Molitor said. “He’s had some issues before. Nothing major that I know of. I just know he’s been dealing with working on keeping that back as flexible as he can and as available on a day-to-day basis as he can.”Right-hander Jose Berrios gets the ball Saturday night, looking to break out of a late-season slump.He hasn’t worked past the fifth inning in any of his last five starts and has a 6.65 ERA during that stretch. Berrios lasted only four innings his last time out, allowing five runs on five hits — including three home runs — while walking three and striking out eight in a 7-4 Minnesota loss to the Rangers last Saturday.“Realistically, he’s fighting it a little bit,” Twins manager Paul Molitor said. “I don’t know if it’s a combination of it getting late or a couple of other things, but it just hasn’t been going very well.”Saturday will mark his eighth career start and third of the season against the Royals, who hand the ball to right-hander Jorge Lopez.Lopez has been on a bit of a roller coaster since coming to the Royals as part of the trade that sent third baseman Mike Moustakas to Milwaukee at the deadline. Through four starts for Kansas City, he’s gone 1-3 with a 5.66 ERA but while he’s given up a combined 11 runs in two of those starts he’s also spun a pair of one-run outings including his last time out when he held the Orioles to a run on five hits while striking out eight without a walk over seven innings of work.“(His) command was good,” Royals manager Ned Yost said. “But for me, he really utilized his fastball, pitched off his fastball, established his fastball. And he pitched off it with his slider, changeup and curveball. But the key was establishing his fastball first. He was filling up the zone and staying on the attack. Outstanding start for him.”Lopez will be facing the Twins for the first time in his career.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.